SESAH BEST OF THE SOUTH: PRESERVING SOUTHERN ARCHITECTURE AWARD (BOTS)
Each year the Southeast Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians (SESAH) selects a recipient for the Best of the South: Preserving Southern Architecture Award. Established in 2006, this award honors projects that document, preserve, rehabilitate, restore, or educate the public about a historic property – including a building, a structure, or a complex of buildings and/or structures – in an outstanding manner, and also demonstrate excellence in research, design, and execution. Projects with a public interpretation component are encouraged, but not required. Projects located in the twelve-state SESAH region – Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia – are eligible.
Criteria for consideration:
- Quality of the project documentation, research, education, and/or design plan
- Importance of the property type within its particular context (national, regional, state, local)
- Quality of execution
- Anticipated benefits
- Degree to which the project saved a historic property from likely demolition.
Call for Nominations
SESAH invites nominations, including self-nominations, for the 2020 BOTS Awards. Projects completed in 2018, 2019, or 2020 are eligible for consideration.
Deadline for submitting nominations: July 8, 2020
The winner will be announced at the SESAH Annual Conference held in the fall.
Nominations should consist of:
- no more than two pages of project description
- illustrations and any other material supporting the description, including a project budget and timeline
- a cover letter that identifies the owner of the property, the historic and current use of the property, and the names and contact information of all the major participants of the project (including email addresses).
The nomination should be sent by email as a single PDF document, or as a link to a single PDF posted on Google Drive or Dropbox to the Chair of the Best of the South Award committee:
Jeff Rosenberg, email@example.com